A little early for Christmas party inspiration? Possibly, but following on from SS12 catwalks, the twenties are still featuring strongly on the high street, and it’s one trend that will be perfectly suited for the festive season. Think drop waists, geometric art deco prints, fringe, feathers, beading, embellishments, chandelier earrings and bejewelled clutch bags – this trend is all about opulence. What with today’s economies still struggling to recover it’s no wonder we’re looking back to this era of prosperity and excess for inspiration.
Below are some of my picks from the current high street offering, including flapper-style dresses and separates, and accessories worthy of the Jazz Age. Black, white and metallics are the key colours to look out for, and I’d add a cute round-toed shoe for a nod to the twenties. Still, there’s no reason you couldn’t modernise with point-toe heels and a pop of neon for a dramatic twist.
1. Black embellished flapper dress, £80 from River Island
2. High heel vamp shoe, £69.99 from Zara
3. Scallop lace vest, £20 from Topshop
4. Art deco earrings, £29.99 from Mango
5. Lace skirt, £29.99 from Zara
6. Scallop embellished vest, £45 from Miss Selfridge
7. Sequin suede bag, £69.99 from Mango
8. Ankle strap shoes, £38 from Next
9. Beaded flapper dress, £88 from Simply Be
10. Feather skirt, £69.99 from Zara
The whole trend feels so glitzy and festive, and with The Great Gatsby due to hit cinemas at the end of the year, it’s unlikely to be going away any time soon.
One thought on “Gatsby Glamour”
Oooh what lovely pics – another lot of vintage inspiration for the Best of Vintage Manchester awards 😀