I bought this very cute parasol ice lolly tray from TK Maxx last week, and couldn’t wait to try out a DIY popsicle project. For my first attempt I went for a smoothie-based recipe, as I thought it would be difficult to go wrong!
This made exactly 6 lollies (and there wasn’t any mixture to spare so if your moulds are particularly big, add extra ingredients)
- Approx 400g natural yoghurt (fat free)
- A few generous handfuls of fresh strawberries and raspberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4-6 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until mixed and roughly chopped. I left mine with some fairly big chunks, but blend until smooth if you prefer.
- Then simply spoon into your lolly moulds and freeze. It will take several hours, so probably best to make them at least a day before you want to eat them to be sure.
My first attempt contained hardly any extra sugar and the lollies ended up quite pretty tart, so this recipe now has a bit more added. The alternative would be to choose sweeter yoghurt as a base.
They’re refreshing and so great for summer and despite being a pretty healthy snack, they really do feel like treats! And I’ll be excited to try out some more recipes as there’s so much potential for different flavour combinations.