I’ve always wanted to try making my own “real” hot chocolate, and there’s no better time than a chilly weekend afternoon in the approach to Christmas. This really did make me feel festive too!
Here’s how to make real hot chocolate (enough for 2 mugs):
- Gently heat 125ml double cream together with 300ml milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract until it starts to simmer
- Chop 125g dark chocolate and sift 2 tsp cocoa powder over it.
- Pour over the heated milk/cream mixture, and stir whilst the chocolate melts.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently for a few more minutes until it is a nice hot chocolate temperature and to make sure everything is melted, but make sure not to boil it, as this will make it taste bitter!
- To serve pour it through a fine sieve to ensure it is smooth.
This recipe made 2 medium mugs of chocolate, and that was more than enough as it was incredibly rich! It was very delicious though, and the perfect partner for snuggling under a cosy blanket with a festive book. A lovely winter warmer for you to try. Yum!