A few weeks ago I was working on a fashion photo shoot and took the opportunity of quizzing the makeup artist for his key makeup tips. I wanted to know what makeup I really, genuinely needed in my life. They really are quite simple tips for everyday beauty looks, so I thought I’d share them with you.
- If your skin is good the only things you really need are good eyebrows and good lashes.
- Eyebrows frame the face, and if they are defined and well-shaped they will give your face a lift. This made me slightly uncomfortable as I have barely-there blonde ones, but I suppose I always knew this about brows and that’s why I get eyebrow envy! So his tip is to have well-shaped eyebrows (which you may want to have done professionally) and then make sure they are well-defined, which may mean tinting them or filling them in with a powder or pencil. Careful not to go too dark for your colouring though, as they should still look like your own natural ones!
- Lashes just need a good mascara, and he also advised using a good waterproof mascara on your bottom lashes to make sure that you don’t get those dark under-eye areas after a day in your makeup.
- If you have good skin all you should need is a concealer for the necessary areas. But if you need coverage he suggested you should go for light coverage only for daily use – maybe even go for a BB cream rather than a full foundation.
- A lot of women choose foundation with the wrong undertones. He suggested most women try yellow-based foundations (it works best for skin with warm undertones) as this is a fresh, natural look.
- Other than that makeup should just be used to accentuate what is already there. One additional tip is to highlight and contour the face with a highlighter and bronzer/blush to accentuate the shapes of your face whilst staying quite natural-looking. There are plenty good online guides showing where and how to highlight and contour.
And that’s that! They’re pretty simple tips really and I was probably already aware of all these things, but it’s good to have them validated by a makeup professional!
Oh so glamourous!