Earlier in the week I felt the need to cook something warming and tasty. It’s hard to be bothered cooking real hearty food after a long day at work, but I decided to put the effort in. This recipe was something from the Hairy Dieters book, so is fairly guilt-free too!
What you’ll need (to serve 2):
- Olive oil
- An onion, diced,
- 2 tbsp. plain flour
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 500g lean braising beef, trimmed of fat and then cubed
- 250ml Guinness
- 125ml beef stock (made with stock cube)
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- Chopped carrots – I used a handful of the baby ones
- Black pepper to taste
- Fry the onions in a small amount of oil until lightly browned.
- Stir the beef together with the flour, herbs, pepper and salt in a mixing bowl to coat, and then add into the frying pan to brown on all sides.
- Place the beef and onions to a casserole dish and add the tomato puree, stock, Guinness and sugar. Bring to the boil on the hob, and then cover. Place in the oven for 90 minutes at 180°C.
- At the end of this time add stir in the chopped carrots and place back in the oven for another 45 minutes.
- Serve with mash or boiled new potatoes.