Remember that glorious sunshine last week? Well it’s a sign that summer is well on its way (just ignore the fact that it actually snowed yesterday!) In fact, in my head it’s here already and to get in the mood (whilst the weather sorts itself out) I’ve been preparing for it in all sorts of ways. Here’s how you can get in the mood for summer.
- Spring clean. Get your home ready for the new season with a deep clean. And take this opportunity to clear out the kitchen cupboards ready for new seasonal ingredients, to change the bedding for something lighter, and to add spring finishing touches, such as fresh flowers, to every room.
- Wardrobe swap. It’s time to put away those chunky knits and thick wool coats for another year. I love having a full wardrobe switch around every season and rediscovering my summer wardrobe staples that I’d buried away!
- Clean your windows. Get ready to let that sunshine in!
- SPF skincare. Make sure your skincare has an SPF. My everyday moisturiser already has SPF 15, but I’ll probably increase that for the summer months. When I go on holiday I’ll be upping it even further with Soap and Glory’s SPF50 Sunshield Superfluid!
- Buy some new swimwear. Nothing makes me feel more summery than browsing the new swimwear collections. And that’s before I even have a holiday destination picked out.
- Get a pedicure. Nobody wants to be caught out with an unexpected heat wave and unprepared feet that aren’t ready for sandals. Time to paint those toenails!
- Get your garden ready. Trim the lawn; pull the weeds out of your flower beds; dig out and clean up your outdoor furniture and garden lighting; and maybe pick up a citronella candle; all whilst dreaming about the amazing garden parties you’ll be having on balmy summer evenings.
- … and dust off your BBQ. Do you have one? Do you know where it is or even remember how they work? Stock up on BBQ coals now so that you’re all ready for that first warm evening of summer.
- Plan a holiday. The classic way to feel summery, because although the sun may not be shining here, you can still plan a trip to somewhere sunny to get you in the mood!
- Exfoliate. Freshen up your skin by exfoliating to get rid of dry winter skin cells. This is great prep for when it’s time to get a summer tan, and gentle exfoliation a couple of times a week will help you keep a nice summery glow. I’ve just invested in Rub rub rub, Lush’s sea salt shower scrub.
- Get some summer food Pinspiration. Pinterest is the place to go for summer dining inspiration – think rainbow salads, ice cream-based desserts, amazing popsicles, refreshing summer fizz cocktails, and while you’re at it, how about some garden party decor ideas?
- Buy a summer beach read. You don’t have to wait until you’re actually on a sun lounger to enjoy a sizzling summer read. Don’t feel guilty – just enjoy the summer cheese-fest.
- Adjust your thermostat. It will be warmer soon – it really will! So you might as well starting saving on your energy bills.
- Rethink the contents of your freezer. Essentials include ice cubes, ice lollies and maybe some frozen summer fruits for smoothies. Oh, and maybe something for that unplanned BBQ you’ll be having on the first warm evening of summer!
Have you started any summer preparations yet?
Follow me on Bloglovin to keep up to date with my posts